Manga kari is one of the favourite pickles for me and my brother. We can just sit and eat it with tea or coffee. It is very easy to make but very tasty. Normally I hate curd rice. But if I come to know that amma has made this pickle, definitely I will include curd rice in my plate.
Semi ripened mango – 2 Nos(Thothapuri/Kilimooku mangai)
Red chilli powder- 4 tbsp
Asafoetida- 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
Gingelley oil-1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Wash and cut the mangoes into small pieces.
- Place it in a bowl and add all the spice powders.
- Toss well so that they get blend with the chopped mangoes.
- Finally splutter mustard seeds in the oil and temper it. Mix well.
- The pickle goes best with curd rice.
Tongue tickling lemon pickle is one of the most common pickle and occupies a space in most of the houses. It goes well with curd rice. This is the most favourite pickles for me and my grandfather. He likes my mom’s pickle. And this is the first time I made this pickle at home. My grandfather and I uses this pickle as a side dish not only for curd rice but also for rasam saadham. We have a Lemon tree in our backyard. And this pickle is made from the lemons we got from our tree. Lemon is rich in Vitamin C and is best as juice, then as lemon rice and the last as pickle.
Lemon – 15
Water – As req
Salt – 5 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 3 tbsp
Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 ladle
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Wash and drain the lemon. Cut each lemon into 8 equal pieces.
- Boil water and add salt into it. Add the chopped lemon into the salt water and allow it to cool.
- Once it comes to room temperature, refrigerate it. This has a very long shelf period. Also the lemon will become soft after a week or so and the salted version of the pickle is ready to serve.
- In a kadai add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add asafoetida, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and saute for a minute.
- Add the salted lemon pickle into the kadai and mix well.
- After 5 minutes, add the reed chilli powder and simmer the flame. Else the red chilli powder will turn black. You can adjust the amount of red chilli powder according to your taste.
- When the oil starts to separate, turn off the stove and allow it to cool.
- Store it in an air-tight container. Take care the container has no water molecules.
- Serve it with curd rice.
This is a different recipe I learnt from my grand mom and my mom. I should thank my neighbour for giving us meyer lemon(A variety of lemon) everytime it ripens in their house. So with that my grandma started making salted meyer lemons out of it. It is my grandpa’s favourite and he have this with curd rice. And my mom makes pachadi using the salted meyer lemons.
Salt – 1/5th cup
- Wash and cut the citrons.
- In an air-tight container, add one layer of citron. Above that add one layer of salt. Repeat this with until you finsh layering the citrons and salt.
- Leave this for about two weeks.
- Meanwhile, every day just shake the container well to make the citrons get mixed with the salt.
Mor milagai are the sun dried green chillies after being soaked in the buttermilk and salt. Whenever my grandpa finds a long green chillies in the market, he will get a kilo or two and ask my grandma or mom to make this. This is one the favourites for my grandpa and my brother. The process starts with slitting the chillies lengthwise and ends with deep frying. Though everyone likes to have it after being fried, you can also have it when the chillies have turned white. You can really enjoy the sour, salty and spicy taste of the recipe at this stage. This is a very easy and simple recipe that goes best with curd rice.
Long green chillies – 1 kg
Sour buttermilk- To soak the chillies
Salt – 1/2 cup
- Wash and slit the green chillies lengthwise.
- Keep it in the sun for a day and put it into a container.
- To this add the sour buttermilk and the salt.
- During the day time toss the container in which we have soaked the chillies.
- Take the chillies out of the vessel by draining the buttermilk and spread it on a plate. Keep it under the sun.
- In the evening again soak the chillies in the buttermilk.
- Repeat this until the colour of the chillies turn from green to white.
- Once it has turned white, there is no need to soak it in buttermilk.
- You have to dry it by keeping it under the sun.
- Once it is completely dry, store it in a container.
- Deep fry and serve it with curd rice.
Mango Ginger is a family of ginger or turmeric. This is available in certain seasons only. This looks like normal ginger but it smells like raw mango. Some call it as white ginger. This has the best medicinal value and is very good for digestion. Unripe pepper is plucked fresh from the plant before it ripens. I learn this recipe from my periamma(Mom’s sister).
Mango ginger- 1 cup(peeled and sliced)
Fresh unripe pepper- 3 cups
Lemon juice- 4 tbsp
Salt- As preservative
Turmeric powder- 2 tsp
- Wash the unripe pepper and cut into one inch length.
- Wash the mango ginger, peel off the skin,and slice it like a disc.
- Boil ample of water to immerse the mango-ginger and green-pepper.
- Add salt and turmeric in the water.
- Keep the boiled water aside until becomes Luke warm.
- Now add the mango-ginger and unripe-pepper into it.
- After it gets cooled, store it in a air-tight container.
- It goes well with Curd rice.
- Since it is the pickle made without oil, it is good for health.