Thayir pachadi is an important item on a sadhg but vegetables in curd. There are different types of pachadi and this is one of my favourite pachadi that my mom makes at home. It is the best accompaniment for paruppu vadai.
Curd- 1 cup
Coconut- few pieces
Green chilli- 1
Salt- To taste
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves- few
- Wash and chop the tomatoes.
- Split the carrot into two halves. Grate one half and chop the other half.
- Grind the coconut, tomatoes, chopped carrot, green chilli, half the curry leaves.
- In a pan, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add the curry leaves.
- Finely add the chopped coriander.
- Mix it with the curd before serving.
Kosumalli is a healthy easy salad that is included in every Kannadian’s house during festive days. This is made on Rama navami and offered to the Lord.
Moong dhal-1 cup
Coriander- 4 tbsp chopped
Salt- As required
Mustard -1 tsp
- Soak the moong dhal in water for half an hour.
- Drain the water.
- Grate the carrot, cucumber and mango. Also qchop the green chilli into small discs.
- Mix it with the moong dhal.
- Add the grated coconut, salt, lemon juice.
- Finally season it with mustard seeds and garnish with coriander.
Raita is an Indian salad or side dish made with yoghurt and chopped vegetables of your choice. Pachadi is the South-indian variation of raita. Every Indian family would like to have curd either plain or in the form of raita or as lassi. Raita goes best with roti and any variety rice, pulav, fried rice and briyani. They are cool and spicy at the same time.
Yoghurt – 1 cup
Onion – 1 (Big size)
Tomato – 1 (Medium size)
Cilantro – Few
Salt – To taste
Black salt – A pinch
Cumin seed powder – 1 tsp
Coriander seed powder – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Chop onion, tomato, cilantro into small pieces.
- Mix the yoghurt well and if it is too thick, add a little quantity of milk or water to make it to the right consistency.
- Now add salt, black salt, cumin seed powder, coriander seed powder and sugar to the yoghurt. Mix well.
- Finally add the chopped vegetables and mix well.
- Serve with roti, pulav, fried rice or briyani.
Note: You can also use cucumber, bell pepper and other vegetables of your choice.
Also garnish it with boondhi.