Thandai is a Almond flavoured beverage which is very popular drink in North India. It is a refreshing Summer drink that cools down your body. This is made for Mahashivrathri and Holi. I came to know about this recipe through one of my favourite Hindi TV series. After that I searched for this recipe in many sites, made slight alterations and made it for Holi. My husband and I loved this toothsome drink. Happy Holi!!!
Milk – 2 large glass
Rose essence – 2 drops
Saffron – 6 strands/ yellow food colour – A pinch
Sugar – 4 tsp
Finely chopped mixed nuts – 2 tsp
Almonds – 25
Cashews – 10
Pistachios – 10
Black peppercorns – 10
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Poppy Seeds – 2 tsp
- Boil milk and allow it to cool down.
- Soak the almonds in water separately for 30 minutes. Later remove the skin and keep aside.
- Soak cashews, pistachios, poppy seeds, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick and fennel seeds for 30 minutes.
- Grind all the soaked ingredients into a fine paste with little water.
- Mix saffron with little warm milk. Add the ground paste into the boiled milk.
- Add saffron milk, sugar and mix everything together.
- Allow it to blend well and strain it. Refrigerate the thandai.
- Pour it into two large glasses and garnish it with finely chopped mixed nuts.
Musk melon or cantaloupe is a perfect summer fruit. It has a high water content and helps in hydrating our body during summer. It also prevents us from summer diseases. If you are counting your calories then this is the best fruit that you should opt for. It has low calorie and sugar content. It cintains Vitamin C, beta carotene, potassium and folic acid. It helps us to maintain a young and healthy skin. It is recommended for persons with high blood pressure. We came to know about this fruit through our family doctor. So my appa will buy this during every summer and we will have it after sprinkling the sugar. We can make the musk melon juice with or without milk. And here is the recipe without milk.
Musk melon – 1
Water – 2 glasses
Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Cut the musk melon into half.
- Remove the seeds.
. Scoop out the flesh.
Mix the flesh, sugar and water in a mixie and grind it.
- Add remaining water to it and serve. You can also add ice cubes and serve it cool.
- This is a very good juice during summer season.
Sambaram or Neer moru is the drink made in my home during summer days. Once the summer season starts my mom makes this at home and refrigerate it. During the summer vacation we will have this at noon. This helps in hydrating our body and keeps our body cool. Also this is made on Raama navami(Lord Rama’s birthday). It is a very simple and easy drink that one should drink during summer days.
Cumin seed powder- 1/2 tsp
Coriander- 4 arcs
Curry leaves- 4 arcs
Unripened Mango – 1/4
Green chilli-1 (small)
Salt- As required
- Wash and grind the coriander, curry leaves, green chillies and mango.
- Add this to the buttermilk.
- Crush the lemon leaves with the iodine salt. So that the flavour of the lemon leaves will be extracted.
- Mix it with the buttermilk.
- Finally add the cumin seed powder.
Paanagam is a drink that is made on Raama navami aand thaipoosam. Thaipoosam is the festiveal celebrated for Lord Muruga by Hindus. We offer paanagam and thattaipayaru sundal (Cow peas) to Lord Muruga. Paanagam reduces body heat and prevents us from chicken pox and other heat related diseases during summer.
Jaggery – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Cumin seeds powder – 1/2 tsp
Chukku (Dried ginger ) powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mix jaggery and water and heat it.
- Allow the jaggery to dissolve completely in water.
- Now turn off the flame and strain it to remove the dust particles.
- Now add the cumin seed powder and dry ginger powder.
- It is ready to serve.
Note: The quantity of water vary slightly depending on the quality of jaggery.