I had unsweetened khoya which I bought to make some North Indian gravies at home. Also I had some pecans at home. Though pecans resemble walnut, they can be differentiated from walnuts. Pecans are dark brown in colour and oblong shaped. I used these two ingredients and tried to make a cake. Since I had my newly bought bundt mould, I used that to make this cake.
All Purpose flour – 1 1/4 cups
Sugar – 1/2 cup+ 3 tbsp
Khoya/ Mawa(unsweetened) – 1 cup
Milk – 1 1/4 cup
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Pecans – 1/2 cup
Unsalted butter – 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp
- Bring the khoya|mawa to room temperature.
- Blend the khoya with milk and butter in a mixie.
- Sieve the flour with baking soda and baking powder.
- Add sugar, pecans, cardamom to the khoya milk mixture and blend it well.
- Now add the blended mixture with the sifted flour .
- The cake batter is ready to bake.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree celsius for 5 minutes.
- Grease the bundt cake pan and transfer this cake mixture to the pan and bake it for 40 minutes or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow this to cool and after 10 mins carefully invert the pan and take out the cake.
- Cut it into pieces and serve.
I wanted to make something unique, healthy and easy that can be made in a jiffy. I had two options – orange cake / carrot cake. Finally I decided to make carrot cake. This recipe is very easy to make and needs very less time. It has wheat flour and carrots as main ingredients. I made it one evening and Krish was surprised to see this and we both loved this cake.
Wheat flour – 1 1/4 cups
Curd – 1 cup
Grated carrot – 3/4 cup
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Oil – 1/4 cup + 2tblsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda (Sodium bi carbonate) – 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
Salt – A pinch
- Measure wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sieve them in a bowl.
- Wash, peel and grate the carrot. Keep aside.
- In another bowl, mix sugar, curd, vanilla essence and oil.
- Now mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- Finally add the grated carrot and mix well with the batter.
- Now the batter is ready to be poured in the cake pan.
- Meanwhile pre-heat the oven at 180 degree celsius for 3 minutes. Linen the cake tray with butter paper.
- Pour the batter in the cake tray till 3/4th of it.
- Bake the carrot cake for 30 minutes or until a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake, and remove it from the cake tray.
- Store it in the room temperature for 2 days.
Baking bread and cakes using multigrain flour and whole wheat is always a healthier option than using plain flour/ All purpose flour. This is my first experiment with wheat flour. I got to know about the applesauce from my Sister-in-law.
Applesauce takes the place of oil and butter in this banana bread recipe. I am very careful saying this because this isn’t a universal rule in the baking world. It requires testing. Oftentimes when applesauce is subbed for butter, you’re left with a very mediocre baked good. Some recipes just cannot be made without fat. But banana bread is not one of them. In fact, applesauce is a wonderful, healthier ingredient you can work onto a lot of breads and muffins. Again, some testing is often needed before you land on the perfect combination of ingredients.
I made this and gave it to my uncle’s family. They liked it and said that they haven’t tasted a bread like this. Yes!!! you can feel the aroma of banana while baking and its taste while eating it. Make this and surprise your family.
Ripe Bananas – 4
Whole wheat flour – 1.5 cups
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Sugar/Cane sugar – 1/2 cup
Salt- A pinch
Vanilla essence – 2 drops
Tuti-fruiti/Walnut – few
Applesauce – made with 3 apples
Apple – 3
Honey – 1 tsp
Lemon juice- A drop
- Wash and peel the skin of the apples.(I didn’t peel the skin, since it is healthy).
- Pressure cook the apples or just cook it in an open pan until it is mushy.
- Mash it well or grind it to a fine paste. Add honey and lime juice.
- Apple sauce is ready to use.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree celsius. Heat both the top and bottom elements.
- Wash, peel and cut the bananas. Grind them it to a fine paste with sugar. Transfer them to a bowl.
- Add applesauce, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla essence and give a quick mix.
- Now add the sifted wheat flour and mix well without any lumps.
- Add the tuti-fruti or chopped walnuts into them. Mix well.
- Grease the bread pan and add the bread batter into it. usually while baking normal bread, we fill only half of the bread pan. But here you can almost fill the pan.
- Now bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 deg C for 45 minutes. The timing varies from oven to oven. Insert a toothpick and check if it comes out clean. This will help you to know if it is baked or not.
- After baking, cut it into slices and serve with tea or coffee.
Italian rolls is the first recipe I made using my New OTG. With a bit of fear and excitement I made this recipe. This is a simple and easy rolls that can be made in one hour. I thank my friend for teaching me this recipe. io distributed this rolls to my neighbours and they too loved it. Waiting to experiment more and more with my OTG. Hope you will enjoy this recipe.
All Purpose flour – 1 1/2 cups
Dry yeast – 1 tsp+1/8 tsp (or)
Wet yeast – 2 tsp+ 1/4 tsp
Warm milk- 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Butter- 1 1/2 tbsp
Vanilla essence- 1/2 tsp
Salt- 1/2 tsp
Raisins/ Tuti-Fruti/Orange marmalade
- Dissolve the yeast in warm milk. Allow it to mix well.
- In a bowl add All purpose flour, sugar, salt, butter, Vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the yeast mixture and knead it well into a smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, close the lid and allow it to ferment for 30- 45 minutes.
- If you check the dough after 30 min, it would have doubled in volume.
- The dough is ready.
All purpose flour – 1/4 cup
Milk – 1 cup
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Butterscotch essence – 1 tsp
Yellow food colour – A pinch
Butter – 1/2 tbsp
Salt – A pinch
- Mix the flour with half the quantity of milk without lumps. Keep aside.
- Heat rest of the quantity of milk with sugar, salt, essence and food colour.
- When it boils, add the flour mixture.
- Stir continuously in medium flame until it thickens.
- Allow it to cool.
- Soak the raisins for 30 min in water.
- Take the dough and roll it out evenly like a roti.
- Take the pastry cream and apply it over the rolled out dough. Leave half inch on all the sides.
- Then, roll it tightly and gently. It will look like a log.
- Cut it into half inch thickness.
- Place one raisin on top of each disc.
- Apply butter on the baking tray and arrange the discs on it.
- Pre heat the oven at 200 degree Celsius for 5 minutes.
- Bake the rolls at 175 degree celsius for 20- 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush it with butter.
- The rolls will stay for 4 to 5 days. You can refrigerate it.
Cheese and bread are usually the favourite among the kids. Usually my appa makes yummy bread-jam-butter for our family. He also makes toasted bread for us. He does it with patiently by applying butter on one slice, jam on the other and making it a sandwich. Though it is a very simple one, the love with which he makes it a very special dish for us. And this time, I want to make this for him and my family. My brother bought the red chilli and pepper cheese which has its unique taste than the normal one. And i made this at home for the breakfast. it was tasty and filling. You can also add your favourite veggies in the sandwich.
Bread – 1 loaf
Red chilli cheese – 1 pkt
Pepper cheese – 1 pkt
Ghee – To toast
Cilantro – few
- Grate the red chilli cheese and pepper cheese and mix them together.
- Apply bread one one side of the bread and toast it in medium heat on a skillet.
- Now add the grated cheese on the top of it.
- By the time it gets toasted on oneside, the cheese gets melted.
- Add chopped cilantro in the centre.
- Similarly do it with the other slice of bread and place it over the first slice with the toasted side of the bread outside.
- Your cheese bread sandwich is ready.
I wanted to make something new for my bro who has come for winter vacation. He hates Paneer but when I stuffed it into the bun along with other ingredients, he liked it a lot. It should be served hot. A very good and easy evening snack.
Small buns – 10
Cottage cheese(Paneer) – 50 gm
Cheese – 50gm
Cilantro – A bunch
Rock salt – A pinch
Salt- As required
Red chilli powder – As required
- Grate paneer and cheese. Altogether it makes one cup.
- Chop Cilantro into small bits and make 1/2 cup.
- Now mix cheese, paneer, salt, rock salt and red chilli powder well.
- Take each bun and slice the bun cross-sectionally.
- Now in the bottom portion, make a hole by scraping the bun in the center.
- Now fill the hole with the prepared stuff, apply ghee and close it with the top portion.
- Heat tava and place the buns on it to toast. Apply ghee on the top and bottom of the bun and toast it.
- Carefully turn it upside down and toast well.
- It can be served with tomato sauce.
This is the first cake I baked at home for my Parent’s 25th Wedding anniversary. Since we are vegetarians, we don’t use eggs and thought of making this egg-less cake. To my surprise, it came out very well. This is the first cake tasted by my grandparents in their life time.
All purpose flour- 1 cup
Sugar- 1/3 cup
Unsweetened Cocoa powder – 3 tbsp
Baking soda- 1/4 tsp
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil- 1/2 cup
Hot water- 3/4 cup
Lemon juice- 1tbsp
Vanilla Essence – 1/4 tsp
- Grind the sugar into powder.
- Mix all the dry ingredients so that they are evenly mixed.
- In a separate bowl mix water and oil till they are blended well.
- Now pour the water+oil mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well . Take care that they should not form clumps.
- Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Now grease the cake pan (Rice pan that comes with cooker will do good) with ghee.
- Meanwhile place another rice pan with 1/4 cup water in the cooker and switch on the stove. They will be pre- heated.
- In the mixture add lemon juice. This will react with baking soda and helps in raising the flour.
- Immediately place the pan on the top of the first pan and close the lid.
- It should be steam cooked so don’t use the weight.
- Bake on medium heat for 5 minutes. Then bake it in low heat for 30-35 minutes.
- Once you have done, open the cooker and insert the toothpick at the center to check whether the cake has been baked well.
- Now allow it to cool for ten minutes and turn it upside down on a plate.
- Your cake is ready and you can cut into pieces and serve.
- It will be yummy.