I had unsweetened khoya which I bought to make some North Indian gravies at home. Also I had some pecans at home. Though pecans resemble walnut, they can be differentiated from walnuts. Pecans are dark brown in colour and oblong shaped. I used these two ingredients and tried to make a cake. Since I had my newly bought bundt mould, I used that to make this cake.
All Purpose flour – 1 1/4 cups
Sugar – 1/2 cup+ 3 tbsp
Khoya/ Mawa(unsweetened) – 1 cup
Milk – 1 1/4 cup
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Pecans – 1/2 cup
Unsalted butter – 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp
- Bring the khoya|mawa to room temperature.
- Blend the khoya with milk and butter in a mixie.
- Sieve the flour with baking soda and baking powder.
- Add sugar, pecans, cardamom to the khoya milk mixture and blend it well.
- Now add the blended mixture with the sifted flour .
- The cake batter is ready to bake.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree celsius for 5 minutes.
- Grease the bundt cake pan and transfer this cake mixture to the pan and bake it for 40 minutes or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow this to cool and after 10 mins carefully invert the pan and take out the cake.
- Cut it into pieces and serve.
I wanted to make something unique, healthy and easy that can be made in a jiffy. I had two options – orange cake / carrot cake. Finally I decided to make carrot cake. This recipe is very easy to make and needs very less time. It has wheat flour and carrots as main ingredients. I made it one evening and Krish was surprised to see this and we both loved this cake.
Wheat flour – 1 1/4 cups
Curd – 1 cup
Grated carrot – 3/4 cup
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Oil – 1/4 cup + 2tblsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda (Sodium bi carbonate) – 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
Salt – A pinch
- Measure wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sieve them in a bowl.
- Wash, peel and grate the carrot. Keep aside.
- In another bowl, mix sugar, curd, vanilla essence and oil.
- Now mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- Finally add the grated carrot and mix well with the batter.
- Now the batter is ready to be poured in the cake pan.
- Meanwhile pre-heat the oven at 180 degree celsius for 3 minutes. Linen the cake tray with butter paper.
- Pour the batter in the cake tray till 3/4th of it.
- Bake the carrot cake for 30 minutes or until a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake, and remove it from the cake tray.
- Store it in the room temperature for 2 days.
Baking bread and cakes using multigrain flour and whole wheat is always a healthier option than using plain flour/ All purpose flour. This is my first experiment with wheat flour. I got to know about the applesauce from my Sister-in-law.
Applesauce takes the place of oil and butter in this banana bread recipe. I am very careful saying this because this isn’t a universal rule in the baking world. It requires testing. Oftentimes when applesauce is subbed for butter, you’re left with a very mediocre baked good. Some recipes just cannot be made without fat. But banana bread is not one of them. In fact, applesauce is a wonderful, healthier ingredient you can work onto a lot of breads and muffins. Again, some testing is often needed before you land on the perfect combination of ingredients.
I made this and gave it to my uncle’s family. They liked it and said that they haven’t tasted a bread like this. Yes!!! you can feel the aroma of banana while baking and its taste while eating it. Make this and surprise your family.
Ripe Bananas – 4
Whole wheat flour – 1.5 cups
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Sugar/Cane sugar – 1/2 cup
Salt- A pinch
Vanilla essence – 2 drops
Tuti-fruiti/Walnut – few
Applesauce – made with 3 apples
Apple – 3
Honey – 1 tsp
Lemon juice- A drop
- Wash and peel the skin of the apples.(I didn’t peel the skin, since it is healthy).
- Pressure cook the apples or just cook it in an open pan until it is mushy.
- Mash it well or grind it to a fine paste. Add honey and lime juice.
- Apple sauce is ready to use.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree celsius. Heat both the top and bottom elements.
- Wash, peel and cut the bananas. Grind them it to a fine paste with sugar. Transfer them to a bowl.
- Add applesauce, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla essence and give a quick mix.
- Now add the sifted wheat flour and mix well without any lumps.
- Add the tuti-fruti or chopped walnuts into them. Mix well.
- Grease the bread pan and add the bread batter into it. usually while baking normal bread, we fill only half of the bread pan. But here you can almost fill the pan.
- Now bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 deg C for 45 minutes. The timing varies from oven to oven. Insert a toothpick and check if it comes out clean. This will help you to know if it is baked or not.
- After baking, cut it into slices and serve with tea or coffee.
As usual I was bored with the regular food and was craving for something yummy and delicious. I thought of making white sauce pasta and later took it to the next step of baking it. Nowadays I love to bake not only cakes and cookies but also other recipes. This is the first recipe I tried apart from the above. We had it for the dinner. The melted cheese in between the pasta gave it an unique taste. Also it is very filling. And it is better to have for the lunch. And yes!!! After a long time I am writing a story for my recipe. My husband is asking me evertime why am I not writing a long story for the recipes. So this story is specially for him.. Krish, hope you are happy now!!!
Pasta – 2 cups
Water – 3 cups
American Corn – 1/2
Red Bell pepper – 2 tbsp
Yellow Bell Pepper – 2 tbsp
Green Bell Pepper – 2 tbsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Cheese – To Garnish
Butter – 1 tbsp
Plain flour – 2 tbsp
Milk – 2 cups
Oregano – 1 tsp
Chopped Garlic – 1 tsp
Red Chilli – 1 / Chilli Flakes – 1 tsp
Black Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
- Boil the water and add Pasta into it. Add a drop of oil so that they wont stick together.
- Once the pasta has been cooked, drain the water and keep aside. If you allow the pasta to cook some more time, it will become mushy.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the plain flour and cook on a slow flame for a few seconds, while stirring continuously.
- Add the milk gradually and cook no a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the sauce is thick, while stirring continuously.
- Cut the red chilli into small bits so that you can use it as chilli flakes.
- Add the oregano, chili flakes, cheese, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
Pasta in White Sauce
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the sweet corn kernels, Red, Yellow, Green Bell pepper and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes and keep aside.
- Now add the cooked Pasta and mix it well with the Vegetables.
- Add half the quantity of white sauce, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Keep it aside.
- Grease a cake pan.
- Arrange a layer of cooked white pasta.
- Now add a layer of prepared white sauce. Spread evenly over the white pasta.
- Add the grated cheese.
- Again add a layer of pasta, white sauce and Mozarella cheese. Cover it with the grated cheese.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 deg Celsius. And bake it at 150 Deg Celsius until the Mozarella cheese melts an the top layer turns brown.
Cheese Burst Pizza is offered by Dominos and is demanded by a lot of people. The reason behind this is it has oodles of cheese filled inside the pizza. I came to know about this pizza through my younger brother. The way he described about this pizza tempted me to taste it once. But we could not make it before my wedding. And after wedding I have asked my husband many times about having this Pizza. But always he smile and denies it diplomatically. But now I have learnt to make this at home and can make whenever I have a craving for this. For a change, I made this for lunch. And finally my husband too enjoyed it. Now he is also a fan of Pizza..
All purpose Flour – 1 1/2 cups
Milk – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp+ 1/8 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Water – 1/2 cup
Dry yeast – 1/2 tsp+1/8 tsp (or)
Wet yeast – 1 tsp+1/4 tsp
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Garlic – 4 flakes (minced)
Onion – 1 small size(finely chopped)
Chilli flakes – 1/2 tsp
Mixed Herbs – 1 tsp
Tomato Puree- 1/2 pkt
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp
Green Bell pepper
Red Bell pepper
Yellow Bell pepper
- Add All purpose flour, oil, salt, milk and mix well.
- Add the yeast in warm water and mix well. Also add sugar and dissolve it well.
- Mix the yeast mixture with rest of the ingredients and knead it well into a smooth dough. The dough will be elastic.
- If the dough is wet, sprinkle some flour and knead it well.
- Grease a bowl and place the dough in it, cover it with a cloth and place it in a warm place.
- Allow it to stand for 30 minutes or until the dough doubled in volume. When you punch the dough, you can feel the air releasing.
- Heat oil in a pan and add minced garlic. Saute it in low flame until you get the aroma.
- Now add onion, herbs, chilli flakes, tomato puree, salt and sugar.
- Saute until it thickens. Turn off the stove and allow it to cool.
- Allow it to cool.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions.
- Dust the working area and roll out both into 1/4 inch thickness and keep aside.
- Apply the cheese spread either the plain one or the flavoured one. Apply all over the base leaving 1/2 inch on all the sides.
- Now place the second base on top of the first base. Close well on all the sides.
- The base is ready for topping.
- Apply pizza sause on the top of the base. Place any vegetables of your choice.
- Grate the Mozarella cheese all over . Now the pizza is ready to cook.
- Apply grease on baking tray or pizza plate. Place the pizza on it.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 deg Celsius for 3 minutes.
- Cook at 175 deg Celsius for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Use top and bottom option in OTG and place in top rack.
- Now the pizza is ready to serve.