Tomato pickle is a tangy and tasty recipe. This is a very simple recipe which is easy to make in less time. This goes well with curd rice and dosa. I love this a lot. The shelf life of this is one week.
Tomato – 1/2 Kg
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Jaggery – 2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp (As required)
Salt – As required
Gingelley oil – 2 tbsp
Asafoetida – A pinch
- Wash and grind the tomatoes.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, add oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Now add the tomato puree, turmeric powder, jaggery and salt. Add red chilli powder at the last stage since it will turn black.
- Allow it to cook in low flame.
- The light red colour will turn to dark red and the puree thickens.
- Now add the red chilli powder and asafoetida.
- Cook for five minutes and turn of the stove.
- It goes well with Dosa, Curd rice, Adai.
Note : You can make this in three ways.
Directly making the puree after washing the tomatoes / removing the seeds/ removing the skin and seeds.